Curriculum & Advising
The undergraduate degree offered by our department is a B.S. in Biomedical and Health Sciences Engineering, which is granted jointly by UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State University. Students in this program get a broad background in engineering, including topics in mechanical, electrical, materials science, and computer engineering. They learn how to apply these techniques and tools to address problems in biology and medicine.
For Students Graduating Spring 2022 or later
The curriculum, as for all sciences and engineering, is vertically structured, with experience and knowledge from each course serving as a foundation for subsequent courses. Students’ attention to prerequisites is important. Students are also encouraged to engage in laboratory research or have an internship experience in industry.
For NC State-based students:
- Sample Curriculum Plan
- Students taking courses in different semesters than outlined in the Sample Plan should consult the flowchart to ensure prerequisites are met: 2019-2020 NCSU Flow Chart for Biomedical Engineering.
For UNC-based student:
- Sample Curriculum Plan
- Students taking courses in different semesters than outlined in the Sample Plan should consult the flowchart to ensure prerequisites are met: 2019-2020 UNC Flow Chart for Biomedical Engineering.
For UNC-based students graduating Spring 2021 or earlier
In the first two years, the curriculum provides a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology. Students use this foundation for engineering courses that span the breadth of the field of biomedical engineering.
The curriculum is available here: 2017-2018 Curriculum
Many classes in our curriculum have pre-requisites so it is important to take these classes in a specific order. The following flowchart shows the sequence of the required classes in our curriculum: 2017-18 curriculum flowchart
If you are planning to take a class at another institution, please see the admissions department website that shows equivalent courses: Transfer course equivalencies.
In the BME department, we have two types of advising:
- Curriculum advisors can help you with choosing classes at both UNC and NC State, and other issues related to the BMHE curriculum. The curriculum advisors are a select group of faculty and staff who are most familiar with our curriculum. Please note that BME curriculum advisors cannot advise you on General Education and Approaches requirements. Academic Advising can help with these issues.
- Career advisors can help you with advice on career decisions, graduate programs, and medical programs. You will be assigned to a BME faculty member as your career advisor in the spring of your sophomore year.
First year students should go to the UNC Academic Advising office for curriculum advising. However, if they are not able to assist you, then you can schedule a meeting with one of the BME curriculum advisors. Please contact your designated career advisor (see below).
After meeting admitted to the program, all BMHE students must have their schedule checked by a curriculum advisor during registration period every semester. This can be done online or through an in-person meeting. If your schedule is approved, then the advisor will clear your flag to enable you to register for classes in the following semester. A few weeks before the registration period begins every semester, you will receive an email with instructions on this process.
If you are planning to take a class at another institution other than NC State, you must have the class pre-approved by a CAS advisor to guarantee that you will receive credit. The Transfer course equivalencies site shows a list of classes that have historically transferred.
NC State Course Enrollment
BMHE students at UNC are part of the Joint Program in Biomedical Engineering and have the option to take classes at NC State. Details about the procedure for enrolling in classes are outlined in the Procedure for Inter-Institutional Enrollment page.
|Last name starts with||Advisor||Office|
|A-B, Q-Z||Rocky Rothrockemail@example.com||10212 Mary Ellen Jones|
|E-H||Dr. Kenny Donnellyfirstname.lastname@example.org||10212A Mary Ellen Jones|
|D,I-J||Dr. Naji Husseiniemail@example.com||10302 Mary Ellen Jones|
|C,K-P||Dr. Devin Hubbardfirstname.lastname@example.org||10212C Mary Ellen Jones|
- Degree Audit Form for Fall 2018. This form must be completed and signed by both the student and curriculum advisor. This form cannot be filled out in a web browser. Students need to download the form, save it locally, then email it to their advisor.